Most businesses start out small, but the overarching goal is always to grow and improve. If you never grow beyond your humble origins, it will be exceedingly challenging to remain relevant in your market and achieve any level of ongoing success. However, achieving your desired growth requires a systemic plan that allows you to identify existing challenges, create ways to overcome these barriers to growth, and analyzes the effectiveness of your efforts. In other words, you need an organizational development strategy.
Organizational development provides your business with a framework to solve problems and improve performance over time. This long-range, science-based process helps you build your capacity to evolve and grow by developing, refining and reinforcing your structures, strategies and processes. It is crucial for the success of any business.
Before implementing an organizational development strategy at your company, it’s important to understand what this process entails. We recommend reading the following article to gain a deeper insight into how to leverage organizational development to grow your business:
At Webolutions, our purpose is To Empower Passionate People To Thrive. We believe that organizational development is critical to our ability to live our purpose every day, and we work with our clients to create a framework that allows them to effectively adapt to the changes in their business and their market in order to thrive year after year. In fact, many of our clients find our organizational development assistance to be an essential component to their success.
Key Takeaways from this Article
This article provides an overview of organizational development which will help you to better grasp how it fits in with your day-to-day operations. There are five important components to an organizational development strategy:
- Entry – Explore the problem, opportunities or situation
- Diagnosis – Data is collected, analyzed and reviewed to better understand the challenge which needs to be addressed
- Feedback – An action plan is created to define the solutions which need to be developed and success indicators which will help you to monitor the effectiveness of your strategy
- Solution – A specific plan is adopted to correct the problem, improve performance or seize additional opportunities for success
- Evaluation – Data is collected to determine if your initiative is achieving the success indicators defined in the feedback process
There are four different categories of organizational development initiatives:
- Human Process – Team building, interpersonal and group process approaches and coaching
- Strategic – Organization transformation, culture change and leadership development
- Technostructural Initiatives – Restructuring organizations through mergers and acquisitions, flexible work design, downsizing, etc.
- Human Resource Management – Employee engagement, performance management, succession planning, coaching and mentoring, career development, etc.
For a more detailed discussion of organizational development basics, please read the full article.
Free Organizational Development Implementation Consultation
Additional Resources to Help You Understand Organizational Development
We recommend reading the following articles to further expand your knowledge of organizational development strategies:
- What Is Organizational Development: A Complete Guide – Learn about the organizational development process and discover common examples of organizational development initiatives
- Organizational Development Guide: Definition, Process & Development Models – Developed by Maryville University, this article provides a more academic discussion of organizational development, including additional resources to help you continue researching this important aspect of running your business.
Using this Information
Organizational development is a critical tool that will help you grow your company faster, smarter and easier. Start by reviewing the challenges impacting the growth of your business and listing several goals which will help you overcome them. Implement the five steps listed above to create an organizational development strategy that will help you evolve and thrive.
Let Webolutions Help
Creating and implementing an effective organizational development strategy at your company can be an overwhelming process. Webolutions is here to help. Our transformational Intrinsic Multiplier™ Approach allows you to grow your business smarter, faster and easier. As part of this approach, we will collaborate with you to develop an organizational development strategy that helps create alignment among your team and provides your business with the framework to adapt and thrive over time.
Webolutions is a full-spectrum business consulting and strategic implementation company. We help businesses across the country identify and effectively bring their unique story life, allowing them to scale faster, smarter and easier.
Our specific areas of expertise include:
- Differentiating Brand Development
- Marketing & Communications Strategies
- Customer Journey Planning & Implementation
- Enterprise Website & Application Development
- Systems Integration
- Organizational Development Strategies
- Team Alignment & Performance Solutions
- Business Performance Intelligence Systems
To speak with one of our experts about implementing effective organizational development for your company of at least $5 million in annual sales, call us at 303-536-7655 and request a free organizational development implementation consultation. During this 60-minute introduction, we’ll discuss your specific needs, share ideas and insights, and help you start outlining your plan. You can also email any questions to [email protected].